How to Register with the Medical Use of Marijuana Program: Patient step-by-step instructions
[ Downloadable this as a PDF from Mass.gov ]
Registering online with the Medical Use of Marijuana Program is the fastest and most convenient way to register to possess marijuana for medical purposes.
If you are unable to register online, a more lengthy paper registration process is available. Call 617-660-5370 to request the paper forms and learn more.
Read the following instructions before you begin the patient registration process in the Medical Use of Marijuana Online System (MMJ Online System).
Please note that in order to register as a patient in the MMJ Online System you must first obtain a certification from a qualified health provider.
PREPARING FOR REGISTRATION
First, in order to register as a patient in the MMJ Online System you will need the following:
- Internet access;
- Access to a scanner, mobile scanning software, or pre-scanned digital copies of the documents (as explained below);
- A printer;
- Your registration number as given to you by your health care provider after they have issued you a certification;
- A valid form of identification (as explained below);
- A photograph of yourself (as explained below); and
- A form of payment, or proof of verified financial hardship (as explained below).
Next, scan and save onto your computer:
- the valid form of identification; and
- the photograph of yourself.
If applying for a registration fee waiver (as explained below), also scan and save onto your computer the proof of verified financial hardship (as explained below).
These documents will be uploaded to the MMJ Online System during the patient registration process.
Valid Form of Identification
Valid forms of identification include:
- Massachusetts driver's license;
- Massachusetts ID card (with a photograph of yourself);
- US passport AND another document that proves your Massachusetts residence; or
- US military ID AND another document that proves your Massachusetts residence.
Proof of Massachusetts residence may include, but is not limited to:
- A utility bill (gas, electric, telephone, cable, or heating oil), that is less than 60 days old and must contain your name and address;
- Your current Massachusetts motor vehicle registration card with your current address;
- Tuition bill with a due date of less than 6 months ago and addressed to your current address;
- Car insurance policy or bill that is less than 60 days old;
- Home mortgage, lease, or loan contracts dated within 6 months of today with your name, address and signature;
- Original or certified copy of a U.S. Marriage Certificate dated within the past 6 months;
- A property tax or excise tax bill for the current year with your name and address;
- First-class mail dated less than 60 days old from any federal or state agency that displays your name and address; or
- Current Massachusetts-issued Professional License with your address.
Photograph of Yourself
This photo will be placed on your Program ID card.
Your photo should be:
- In color;
- Uploaded as a square photo;
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect what you look like now;
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background;
- Taken looking directly at the camera;
- Taken without smiling and with both eyes open; and
- Taken in clothing that you normally wear (for example, no clothing item that covers your face or head, except for religious purposes).
Please ensure that your photo is in .jpg or .bmp format with a maximum size of 2 MB.
Form of Payment
There is a $50 fee to complete a patient registration.
Acceptable forms of payment include:
- Credit card;
- Debit card;
- Bank account number and bank routing number; or
- If you are registering with paper forms, a check or money order payable to “The Commonwealth of Massachusetts”. Your check or money order must be included with the paper registration forms.
If you have a verified financial hardship, you may be qualified for a registration fee waiver. You are considered to have a verified financial hardship if you are a recipient of MassHealth, or Supplemental Security Income, or your income does not exceed 300% of the federal poverty level. In order to apply for a registration fee waiver, you must submit proof of verified financial hardship.
Proof of verified financial hardship includes the following:
- MassHealth card;
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefit verification letter;
- Form W-2 from this year or last year;
- State or federal tax return from this year or last year;
- Current (no more than 60 days old) pay stub with employer’s name and address and your name and residential address (if you are self-employed, submit your most recent quarterly loss/profit statement);
- SNAP Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) statement from the current year;
- Unemployment award letter for the current year; or
- Unemployment check stub for the current year.
SELECTING A PERSONAL CAREGIVER
While registering as a patient, you will be given the option to select a personal caregiver. A personal caregiver is someone who may assist you with your medical use of marijuana.
You may designate up to two caregivers who are not currently designated by another patient, unless that caregiver is your immediate family member.
In order to designate a personal caregiver you will need your caregiver’s registration number and last name. Please note that you may also select a caregiver in the future, after completing your patient registration.
Now that you have been provided with a certification from a qualified health care provider and gathered the necessary documents, you may begin the online patient registration process.
You will be sent several emails during the registration process. Each email will have instructions on how to complete the next step. Please note that the links may expire as soon as seven (7) days after being emailed to you and some links are valid only the first time that you click on the link.
The MMJ Online System times out after 30 minutes. If you would like to take a break during the registration process, a good stopping point is right after you receive a confirmation e-mail and before you click the link in the confirmation e-mail to start the next step of the registration process.
In order to register, please follow these steps:
- Step 1: After a qualified health care provider certifies you for the medical use of marijuana, you will receive registration information via email that includes a website link to create an account on the Virtual Gateway (VG). Follow the link, read and accept the terms and conditions, enter the personal information required, and select a 4-digit pin number. After answering the security question, click "Submit" to be taken to the next page.
- Step 2: You will then receive an email from the VG system telling you that your account request has been processed. This email will contain a link that you will click on in order to finish the VG registration process. At this link you will need to create a password and answer two security questions that will be used to reset your password if you forget it.
- Step 3: Once you complete this information you will be taken to a screen that contains your username. Your VG account is now created. Any time you wish to return to the MMJ Online System you will log in to the VG at https://gateway.hhs.state.ma.us with the username provided and the password you selected.
- Step 4: When you log in to the VG click on the link to “Medical Use of Marijuana System”. This will log you into the MMJ Online System. The MMJ Online System will then display the Welcome page.
- Step 5: Click “Register as a Patient” to access the Home Page for the MMJ Online System. This is where you will enter in your registration information, which includes your registration number that you received from your qualified health care provider, your last name, date of birth, and the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number. Click on “Proceed” to continue to the next page.
- Step 6: The next screen lists the instructions that are on the registration information you received from your qualified health care provider. Review these registration instructions and click on "Proceed."
- Step 7: A confirmation screen with your registration number will appear. Click on “OK” to proceed. This will take you to the screen where you will enter additional registration information.
- Step 8: Complete your registration information and read and agree to the attestations. Read the list of requirements and check the box stating that you agree to comply with the requirements. Then click the “Proceed” button to be taken to the next screen.
- Step 9: On the next screen you may designate a personal caregiver, who is a person over the age of 21 that has agreed to assist you with the medical use of marijuana. Once you have selected if you would like to designate a caregiver, click on the “Proceed” button to be taken to the next screen. Please note that before you can designate a caregiver, the caregiver must be registered with the MMJ Online System and approved by DPH. Your selected caregiver must provide you with their registration number and last name in order for you to designate them as your caregiver.
- Step 10: Scan a copy of your Massachusetts Driver’s License and then upload the file to the MMJ Online system. If you do not have a Massachusetts Driver’s License, you will need to upload a scanned copy of another valid form of identification, as explained above. If another form of identification is used, proof of Massachusetts residency is required, as explained above. Click on “Browse” to find the correct file, select the file, and then click on the “Proceed” button.
- Step 11: Scan and upload a photo of yourself to the MMJ Online System. The photo must follow the photo guidelines explained above and will be used for identification purposes in the MMJ Online System. The photo will also be placed on your Registration ID card. Click on “Browse” to find the correct file, select the file, and then click on the “Proceed” button.
- Step 12: There is a registration fee of $50 that may be paid with any of the forms of payment listed above. Click the “Pay Fee” button at the bottom of the screen and follow the instructions to proceed.
There is an option to apply for a registration fee waiver if you have a verified financial hardship, as defined above. If you have a verified financial hardship, click the box that says “Apply for Registration Fee Waiver”. You will then be taken to a screen with a series of questions that must be answered. Once you are done, click "Submit", and the information will be reviewed by Medical Use of Marijuana Program to determine eligibility for a registration fee waiver. The request may take several weeks to process.
- Step 13: If you are not applying for a fee waiver, click on the “Pay Fee” button, which will take you to a secure payment screen where you can enter your payment information.
- Step 14: After you have entered all the information into the application, you will be taken to a screen to review your application. Review the information on the screen and click on the different sections of the application on the right side of the page if any changes are needed. Once all the information is correct, click on the box in the financial information Attestation which says that you agree that the income information, to the best of your knowledge, is true, correct, and complete, and then click “Submit”.
- Step 15: You will then be taken to a screen confirming submission of your application. Your application will then be reviewed by the Medical Use of Marijuana Program. Once your registration is reviewed by the Department, you will be notified by email regarding the status of your registration. Registrations are processed in the order they are received. If approved, you will be able to print your paper Program ID card and will receive your plastic Program ID card at a later date.
PROGRAM ID CARD
You must have your Program ID card as well as the valid form of identification that you used to register in the MMJ Online System at all times when you possess or handle marijuana for medical use.
There is a $10 fee to replace a lost Program ID card.
CHANGE OF ADDRESS
If you move, your address may be updated by calling the Medical Use of Marijuana Program at 617-660-5370.
Should you have questions regarding the registration process, please contact the Medical Use of Marijuana Program Support Center at 617-660-5370.
Northgate Professional Center, 1985 Main Street, Suite 209, Springfield, MA 01103